Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Jungle Curry with Tofu. Adapted from Cooking Light

This is one of my favorite dishes to make. It is easy, healthy and my husband thanks me for the free smells. If you are worried that you are not going to be able to find some of the ingredients, that is A okay cause this recipe (along with many of the other I post) if very adaptable. Alright let's get started!

Materials:

1 package of FIRM tofu
2 tbs oil
1 egg plant cut into fork sized pieces
1 bell pepper julienned
2 cups of green beans, haricot verts or long beans trimmed
2 tbs green curry paste (use red or yellow curry for a milder dish)
1 cup broth- vegetable or chicken
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
zest of 1 lime

Preparation:

1. First you must get some of the excess water out of your tofu. Before cutting it, wrap your tofu in a paper towel and place it on a plate with a weight on top to lightly squeeze out the liquid. I usually do this while I'm prepping the veggies to give it enough time to drain. Once done cut your tofu into about 1 inch cubes.

2. Heat a large skillet over MED-HIGH heat and heat 1 tbs of oil through. Add your tofu and stir fry for 4 min til lightly browned. Don't stir too vigorously or your tofu will break! Remove your tofu to a plate and keep warm.

3. Heat your remaining oil at MED-HIGH heat and add your peppers, eggplant, and beans. Stir fry for about 3 min. Yesss I know I crowded my pan. I was a dummy and didn't just use my larger one lol.

4. Add your curry paste and cook for 30 seconds. Add the broth, soy sauce, sugar and zest. Stir till the sauce is combined well and cook for 5 minutes til the veggies are cooked through. Add your tofu back in and heat through, about 1 min.

Simple as that! I serve mine with jasmine rice which is a Thai rice that is perfect for well.. Thai dishes. Just as a quick reminder of how convertible this recipe is, I just bought a handful of little Indian eggplants and haricot verts cause that was what my Asian market had. Oh! On another note, if you are paying more than $2 for tofu you are getting RIPPED OFF. I bought mine on sale at my Asian market for 79¢. It is soybeans for goodness sake. Soybeans are the largest crop in the world; your tofu should always be a cheap buy. Same for curry paste. You can buy the fancy Thai Kitchen jarred curry paste for expensive prices or you can buy an envelope of the same product for 60¢ at your Asian grocery store. If a recipe calls for Asian products, go to an Asian market because usually you can get a better price there. Alright, love you guys and see you in my next recipe! God speed!



No comments:

Post a Comment