Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Greens Are Already Gross!


More times than not when we buy our favorite bags of salad greens they spoil quicker than we can eat them. But why?

 Usually when we put away the greens we don't think much of it. We just tighten up the bag and throw it back in the crisper. Not good! The way I keep my leafy vegetables from spoiling is by every time after I take some of the leafs out of the bag, I close on end of the bag with my hand and lightly shake up the bag to loosen the mix. It gives the leafs some air and space. If the leaves are smooshed together and wet, the leafs will start to rot and because they are in close contact with the other leafs they will rot even faster.

 Also, I never close up the bag tight before storing. When a fruit or vegetable of any sort is cut or damaged in any way it produces ethylene gas. If you have a bruised leaf in the bag it will start producing the gas and if you close the bag tight it will trap the gas in, spoiling the healthy leafs around it. So give them space and give them air! 

No comments:

Post a Comment