Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tuna & Spinach Quesadilla


I never thought I would like this til I just sucked it up and tried it. So delicious and healthy, this is a great lunch for me and it's quite cheap!

2 whole wheat tortillas (we don't like bleached flour! Get your nutrients by buying whole wheat!)
1/2 a tin of tuna (tuna in water is the healthier choice to tuna in oil. Less salt!
4 tbs queso fresco (other cheeses would work just as nicely such as cheddar or mozzarella)
4 tbs salsa verde (I use Ms. Renfro's my favorite!)
1 cup of fresh spinach
1 scallion thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
Clarified butter or olive oil

Top one of your tortillas with the tuna, cheese, salsa, spinach and scallion evenly so it all cooks through at the same rate. If you want prior to adding the tuna you can season it with salt and pepper but I find that the salt from the cheese and the chilies in the salsa are enough flavor for me. Put your second tortilla on top.

 Heat your butter or oil through at Med heat in a skillet. Add your quesadilla and let it cook for about 1 minute then raise the heat to Med-Hi. This will allow the cheese time to melt first then you can focus on giving your quesadilla a good toasting. After about another minute or 2 use a spatula to flip your quesadilla and cook another minute or 2 on that side. Serve to a plate and cut into 4 portions.

Quick Tip: Invest in a set of tupperware. I bought some for a cheap 2 dollars at my grocery store and I love them so much. You don't have to use the whole tin of tuna once you've opened it! Save the other half for another time! Doing this will help you control your portion size and keep this a healthy fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment